American Studies in Germany
The field of American Studies covers the study of America’s formation, culture, subcultures, ideals, and influence worldwide. An American Studies program aims to teach you how to think systematically and analytically about institutions and structures in American society. In Germany, you can pursue American Studies at prominent universities that pride themselves in having a study environment that focuses on student autonomy and academic collaboration.
You can complete a bachelor’s degree in American Studies in six semesters if you study full-time. On the other hand, you can complete a master’s degree in American Studies in four semesters. Remember that English language proficiency is a crucial requirement for admission to American Studies programs in Germany unless you are a native English speaker. German universities that provide American Studies programs accept test scores of IELTS, FCE, and TOEFL.
Part of the admissions process to an American Studies program in Germany is submitting documents that support your application and are proof of your eligibility for admission. Usually, documents that you must submit as part of the admission requirements are the following:
- Application form
- Academic Qualifications
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Letter of recommendation
- Letter of motivation
Best Universities for American Studies in Germany
Why Pursue American Studies in Germany?
Germany has a thriving economy, significant developments in various fields, offers excellent academic standards, and is home to some of the best universities worldwide. As a prospective American Studies student, you will be happy to hear that some of the finest universities in Germany offer American Studies programs.
An American Studies degree in Germany will provide the foundation for various career options
Regardless of your chosen profession, an American Studies degree helps you develop skills you can use in many fields. Professional opportunities for American Studies graduates in Germany include working in:
- Educational Administration
- Social Services
- Public Relations
- Public Service
Salaries of American Studies graduates in Germany reach an average of €2,000 per month. However, as the field prepares you for several careers, your salary after graduation will depend on your chosen career. Some of the highest-paying careers
There are plenty of reasons to choose Germany for American Studies. Some of the most important are the following:
- German universities pride themselves on excellent interdisciplinary research in American Studies.
- Universities that offer American Studies programs have a long history of excellence.
- American Studies in Germany include many cultural areas apart from American literature, such as film, electronic media, popular culture, and not only.
- During your American Studies degree, you will participate in different activities, including student projects, workshops, conferences, and lectures by international speakers.
- You will develop an in-depth understanding of nation-building, immigration, cultural conflict, imperialism, feminism and gender studies, world power, and more.
- German universities collaborate with international partners and engage in lively dialogues with the community and general public.
- As a student of the American Studies program, you will reap the benefits of your chosen university partnerships.
- Master’s degrees in the field of American studies give you an in-depth understanding of American identities, diversity, gender and mediality.