James Cook University (JCU) is the second oldest university in Queensland and Australia’s leading university in the tropics. Offering excellence in teaching and research, JCU is a vibrant, multi-campus university with its main sites in the tropical Queensland cities of Townsville and Cairns, and modern city campuses in Singapore and Brisbane.
JCU is recognised around the world for its expertise in marine biology, environmental studies, tropical health, and tourism. Our professional coursework programs are accredited by industry and professional associations and many professionals are guest lecturers for our postgraduate programs. Over the past five years, JCU academics have won 31 national awards for teaching excellence from the Australian Teaching and Learning Council – more than many larger universities.
- Recently ranked by Times Higher Education (THE) in the ‘Top 15 Universities in Australia’ (Times Higher Education, 2021).
- Ranked in the top 250 universities in the world (Times Higher Education, 2021).
- Notably ranked in the top 30 modern universities in the world (Times Higher Education, 2020)
- First in the world in global partnerships for sustainable development (Times Higher Education, 2020).
- 5 stars for full-time job success (Good Universities Guide 2020).
- 5 Stars for learner engagement (Good Universities Guide 2020).
- 5 Stars for student support (Good Universities Guide 2020).
- JCU is rated “world-class or better” in 38 areas of research (Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA).
Erudera's university profiles are auto-generated and improved each week. Although we do our best to make sure we provide accurate information, we do not take responsibility for the content published on this page. Are you a university representative? Please report any inaccuracies or suggest new content for this profile to our support so we can improve the experience for all users.