Study Urban Planning in Germany
If you are interested in the relationship between our society and the planning of our environment, an urban planning degree is a right choice. Germany has excellent universities that offer urban planning programs, a factor that brings thousands of international students to pursue the field in the country.
Find your program
Use this search box and filters to browse Erudera's study program database.
Throughout your studies, you will acquire expertise in the public management of urban development. You will also be able to develop practical and innovative urban planning tools. The curriculum of urban planning programs in Germany is one to praise. Some of the modules that urban planning programs in Germany will cover include:
- Elements of the Spatial Environment
- Economics and Technical Infrastructure of Spatial Planning
- Urban Design, Housing and Urban Conservation
- History and Theory of the City, Social and Economic Aspects
- Illustration and Analysis, Law and Involvement in Planning
- Urban Development Design Projects
Urban planning degrees in Germany usually have German as their language of instruction. So one of the requirements you must meet to study urban planning in Germany is to be fluent in German. Other admission requirements for urban planning programs include submitting your letter of application, CV, letter of motivation, and documents detailing your prior education.
Best Universities for Urban Planning in Germany
Why Study Urban Planning in Germany?
The urban planning program in Germany is quite an appealing program to pursue. German universities offer qualitative education, studies in state-of-the-art facilities, and affordable tuition costs. You can study urban planning at a German public university by only paying administrative fees that usually do not exceed the amount of €3,000 per year.
Urban planning graduates in Germany can find work in numerous settings, including:
- Urban Research
- Project Development
- Real Estate Industry
- Trade Journalism
- Computer Visualization
- Model Building
- Competition Organization
- Competition Moderation
The salaries of urban planning graduates are rather satisfactory. The entry-level salary for graduates of the urban planning field starts at €1,640 per month. The highest average salary an urban planner in Germany can make is €5,230 per month.
There are plenty of reasons to choose Germany for urban planning studies. Some of the most important are the following:
- German universities have a renowned reputation for their urban planning degrees.
- Germany has an extremely strong research profile, and urban planning programs are predominantly project-based.
- One of the pillars on which urban planning programs in Germany are designed is international orientation.
- As German universities offer various compulsory and elective courses in urban planning, you will have the opportunity to focus on your interests and focus areas.
- Lecturers in urban planning degrees are renowned for their professionalism and knowledge transfer, providing an excellent guided experience.
- After completing your degree successfully, you will be highly qualified to find excellent job prospects in the job market.
- Once you graduate, you can either opt for a professional career, continue with your master’s degree, or do both.
- International students in Germany can work up to 20 hours per week while completing their degree.
- Urban planning programs in Germany include mandatory practical training, a period that allows you to examine the German planning culture first-hand.
Best Urban Planning Master's Degrees in Germany
Potsdam University of Applied Sciences
Technical University of Kaiserslautern